Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
Faculty of Law, Management, and Economics
Chair of Business and Economics Education
Jakob-Welder-Weg 9, D 55128, Germany
Academic Career and Education
Full professor, Chair of Business and Economics Education at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
01/2002 – 09/2006
Chair of Business and Economics Education at Humboldt University of Berlin
2004 – 2006
Thesis on “Controllability of educational systems through political reform strategies – an interdisciplinary theoretical analysis and empirical study for greater autonomy in the public school sector”
At the Faculty of Arts and Humanities IV of Humboldt University of Berlin
2002 – 2004
Thesis on “Dynamics and stability in vocational training systems – a theoretical and empirical study of transformation processes using Bulgaria and Lithuania as examples” (summa cum laude)
At the Faculty of Arts and Humanities IV of Humboldt University of Berlin
Viva voce in educational sciences, business education, and economics (summa cum laude)
1996 – 2000
Chair of Business Education at Humboldt University of Berlin
Chair of Human Resources at Technical University of Berlin
1995 – 2000
Economics and Business education at Humboldt University of Berlin; major fields of study:
statistics, auditing and management accounting, corporate theory and corporate policy, and human resources at Technical University of Berlin
Diplom thesis on “German direct investment in Russia” (grade 1.3)
Awards, Honors, and Fellowships
Fellowship of the Gutenberg Research College of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz http://www.gfk.uni-mainz.de/eng/index.php
Nominated for the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the German Research Foundation for outstanding research achievements
Nominated for the JGU Teaching Award of the Senate of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
Postdoc fellowship of Humboldt University of Berlin (awarded to outstanding habilitation candidates)
Humboldt Prize for outstanding dissertation thesis
Europe Award of the Association of Berlin Merchants and Industrialists for outstanding dissertation thesis
Research and academic achievement
Project director – current projects
- Research transfer project of the research program “Modeling and Measuring Competencies in Higher Education – Validation and Methodological Innovations” KoKoHs II (2015 – 2019)
- “Valid assessment of students‘ development of professional business and economic competencies over the course of their studies – a quasi-experimental longitudinal study” (WiWiKom II) (2015 – 2019)
- “Evidence-based actions within the multilevel system of schools – requirements, processes, and effects” (EviS II) (2013 – 2016)
„Validation of an entrance examination in the study domain of business and economics – A national and international comparative study of universities and universities of applied sciences“ (WiWiSET) (2016 – 2019)
„Assessing Subject-Specific Competencies in Teacher Education in Mathematics and Economics – A Quasi-Experimental Validation Study with a Focus on Domain-Specificity” (ELMaWi) (2016 – 2019)
„Higher-order skills of Students: Model-based Assessment and Analysis” (KOSMA) (since 2015)
Project director – completed projects
- “School leadership styles and their influence on teachers’ evidence-based actions” (2011 – 2015)
- Coordination project of the research program “Modeling and Measuring Competencies in Higher Education” KoKoHs I (2011 - 2015)
- “Modeling and measuring competencies in business and economics among students and graduates” WiWiKom I (2011 - 2015)
- “Evidence-based actions within the multilevel system of schools – requirements, processes, and effects” EviS I (2010 - 2013)
- “Implementation of school autonomy, quality management, and a new teaching-and-learning philosophy at vocational schools” EQuL (2010 - 2012)
- “Pedagogical Content Knowledge of (Future) Teachers in Business and Economics: Theoretical Modeling, Test Development, and Validation” (2009 - 2012)
- “Innovative Teach-Study Network in Academic Higher Education“ ILLEV (2008 – 2012)
- “Efficiency of an educational political reform strategy in the public vocational school system – a multilevel analysis using the example of greater autonomy of single schools” (2006 - 2009)
- “A comparative study of professional patterns of attitudes towards New Public Management in Bulgaria, Canada, Denmark, and Switzerland” (2007 – 2008)
- “Quality development at vocational schools in the German federal state of Berlin” QEBS (2006 - 2008)
- “E-Learning – Use of E-exams in business education courses for optimizing teaching outcome diagnostics in higher education teaching and for fostering students‘ general problem-solving competency“ (various sub-projects) (2007 - 2015)
- “Successful implementation of political reform strategies in the public vocational school system in the German federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate” (study I + II) (2007 - 2009)
National and international commitment to science and research
Membership of advisory and editorial boards
- International advisory board of the Swiss Federal Office for Professional Education and Technology (OPET) program “Leading House: Learning and Instruction for Commercial Apprentice (LINCA)”
- Advisory board of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) research program ASCOT (Technology-oriented competency assessment in vocational education)
- Round table on business and economic studies as part of the NEXUS project of the German Rectors’ Conference
- Advisory board of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) research program KoKoHs I (Modeling and measuring competencies in higher education)
- Editorial board of the ”Journal for Educational Research“ (JERO)
- Editorial board of the “International Journal of Educational Studies” (IJES)
- Editorial advisory board of the journal “Empirical Research in Vocational Education and Training“ (ERVET)
- Editorial advisory board of the journal “Empirische Pädagogik“ (Empirical Pedagogy) (EP)
Membership in scientific work groups and associations
- International Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE); Collaboration with the Collaborative Research Center 649 (SFB), project area B1 “Dynamic Semi-parametric Modeling“
- American Economic Association (AEA)
- European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Gesellschaft für Hochschulforschung (society for higher education research, GfHF)
- German Educational Research Association (DGfE), workgroup for empirical education research (AEPF) and workgroup for vocational and business education (BWP)
- Gesellschaft für Empirische Bildungsforschung (society for empirical educational research, GEBF)
- Association of university professors for vocational and business education
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Berufsbildungsforschungsnetz (research network on vocational education, AG BFN)
- Center for Educational and Higher Educational Research (ZBH) of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
Organization and chairing of international and national conferences
- International Affiliated Group Meeting “Valid Assessment of Learning Outcomes in Higher Education – International Comparison and Methodological Challenges” at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting Conference, Chicago, April 19, 2015.
International conferences of the KoKoHS research program “Modeling and Measurement of Competencies in Higher Education” and of the WiWiKom research project “Modeling and Measuring Competencies in Business and Economics", Mainz, 27/11–02/12/2014.
- International Affiliated Group Meeting “Theoretical and Methodological Tasks and Challenges of Modeling and Measuring Competencies in Higher Education” at the AERA Annual Meeting Conference, Philadelphia, U.S., 4/4/2014.
“International Colloquium for Young Researchers”, Mainz, 14–16/11/2013.
- Kick-Off Conference of the KoKoHs research program “Modeling and Measuring Competencies in Higher Education”, Mainz, 05–06/07/2012.
- Conference “Bologna-Reform: Eine Zwischenbilanz der empirischen Bildungs- und Hochschulforschung und Entwicklungsperspektiven” (Bologna reform: interim results of empirical research in education and higher education and development perspectives), Berlin, 02/03/2012.
- International Conference 2011 of the KoKoHs research program “Modeling and Measurement of Competencies in Higher Education", Berlin, 24–25/02/2011.
- International Kick-off Workshop of the WiWiKom research project “Modeling and Measuring Competencies in Business and Economics“, Berlin, 02–04/02/2011.
Reviewing for research funding bodies
- Consultant to the Scientific Commission of Lower Saxony (WKN)
- Reviewer to the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung)
- Expert consultant for the Bertelsmann Foundation
- Reviewer for the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Reviewer for the Gesellschaft für Empirische Bildungsforschung (GEBF)
- Expert reviewer for the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Expert reviewer for the Accreditation group AQAS e.V.
- Expert reviewer for the Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education, and Research, Federal Office for Professional Education and Technology (OPET)
- Expert reviewer for the accreditation group of the German Council of Science and Humanities
- Expert reviewer and consultant for the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) as well as for other ministries in various German federal states
- Reviewer for the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF)
- Reviewer for the Volkswagen Foundation
- Reviewer for the German Educational Research Association
- Expert reviewer for the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Berufsbildungsforschungsnetz (AG BFN)
Reviewing for scientific journals
- “Zeitschrift für die Erziehungswissenschaft” (Journal for Educational Science)
- “Organizacija – Journal of Management, Informatics and Human Resources”
- “Zeitschrift für Soziologie“ (Journal for Sociology)
- “Evaluation and Program Planning“
- “International Journal of Educational Studies“
- “Learning and Individual Differences“
- “Journal for Educational Research“
- “Empirische Pädagogik” (Empirical Pedagogy)
- “Learning and Instruction“
- “Berufs- und Wirtschaftspädagogik“ (Vocational and Business Education)
- “Lehrerbildung auf dem Prüfstand“ (Teacher Education under Review)
- “Die deutsche Schule“ (DDS – journal for educational science, policy, and practice)
- “Diagnostica” – Zeitschrift für Psychologische Diagnostik und Differentielle Psychologie
- "Journal Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education"
- "Journal of Workplace Learning"
- "Journal AERA Open"
Guest editing for scientific journals
- “Journal of Educational Measurement” (JEM)
- “Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education (AEHE)”
- “Zeitschrift für Erziehungswissenschaft“ (Journal for educational science)
- “Unterrichtswissenschaft“ (Educational science)
- “Peabody Journal of Education“
- “Empirical Research in Vocational Education and Training“
- “Zeitschrift für Pädagogik” (Journal for Pedagogy)
- “Studies in Higher Education”
- “Lehrerbildung auf dem Prüfstand“ (Teacher Education under Review)
- Co-editor for the “Journal for Educational Research”
Administrative commitments, program development, and promotion of young researchers
at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Gutenberg Teaching Council
- Senior member of the Gutenberg Academy Mainz, spokesperson 2010–2011, deputy spokesperson 2012–2013
- Degree program head and liaison lecturer for the business education degree courses
- Member of the Teacher Training Center (ZfL)
- Member of the roundtable for teaching methodology at the ZfL
- Chair of the faculty selection committee for business and economics education at the Faculty of Law, Management, and Economics
- Member of the faculty council, the examination board, the board for studies and teaching, and the habilitation research training group at the Faculty of Law, Management, and Economics
- Chair of three professorial appointment committees, member of numerous appointment committees at various universities
- Chair and member of various doctoral supervisory committees
Reform and design of study programs
- Member of two working groups for the ministry of education, science, further training, and culture of the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate, development of curricular standards in teacher education in the subjects of “business and economic studies” and “vocational training studies“
- Member of three committees at the Faculty of Law, Management, and Economics, for conceptualization of the new structure of the division of management and economics, design and implementation of the new bachelor of science degree course in business and economics, and development of new doctoral regulations
- Director of program development in business and economic education at the Faculty of Law, Management, and Economics, responsible for the design, accreditation, and implementation of the new degree courses Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in business and economic education, and Master of Education in business and economic education and educational science
- Director of the ILLEV project, responsible for the design and implementation of the Innovative Teach–Study Network in the new consecutive degree courses of teacher education
- Director of various e-learning and e-testing projects at the Faculty of Law, Management, and Economics, responsible for the design and implementation of e-learning in business and economic education as well as of new examination methods
Supervision of dissertation projects (principal supervisor)
- Sebastian Brückner (2015): Die Analyse mentaler Prozesse von Studierenden beim Lösen wirtschaftswissenschaftlicher Testaufgaben in einem prozessbezogenen Validierungsansatz (A process-oriented validation approach to analyzing students‘ mental processes while they respond to business and economic test items).
- Ramona Buske (2013): Die Entwicklung kollektiver Innovationsbereitschaft von Lehrkollegien - Eine theoretische Modellierung und empirische Untersuchung im Längsschnitt (The development of collective readiness for innovation among teaching staff – Theoretical modeling and empirical longitudinal investigation). (research award)
- Manuel Förster (2013): Organisationale und motivationale Einflussfaktoren auf das Reformhandeln von Lehrkräften – Eine empirische Untersuchung mittels Strukturgleichungs- und Mixture-Analysen (Organizational and motivational influence factors on teachers’ implementation of reforms – an empirical study using structural equation mixture modeling). (research awards)
- Roland Happ (2015): Die Entwicklung des volkswirtschaftlichen Grundlagenwissens im Studienverlauf - Effekte von Eingangsvoraussetzungen auf den Wissenserwerb (Development of fundamental economic knowledge among students over the course of their studies – Effects of students‘ entry conditions on their knowledge acquisition).
- Daniela Heinze (2015): Die Bedeutung der Volition für den Studienerfolg. Zu dem Einfluss volitionaler Strategien der Handlungskontrolle auf den Erfolg von Bachelorstudierenden – Eine empirische Untersuchung (The importance of volition for study success. On the influence of volitional strategies of action control on bachelor students‘ study success – An empirical analysis).
- Aline Kadach (2013): Organisationstypen in berufsbildenden Schulen - Eine empirische Analyse der schulischen Steuerungs-, Führungs- und Kooperationsstrukturen (Types of organizational structures at vocational schools – An empirical analysis of management, leadership, and cooperation structures at schools).
- Christiane Kuhn (2013): Fachdidaktisches Wissen von Lehrkräften im kaufmännisch-verwaltenden Bereich – Modellbasierte Testentwicklung und Validierung (Pedagogical Content Knowledge of Teachers in Business and Economics. Theoretical Modeling, Test Development, and Validation). (research awards)
- Daja Preusse (2014): Wissen und Überzeugungen von Lehrkräften - Eine Analyse für den Kontext schul- und unterrichtsbezogener Evaluationen (Knowledge and convictions of instructors – an analysis for the context of school and class-related evaluations).
- Susanne Schmidt (2016): Eine Längsschnittanalyse der Veränderung von betriebswirtschaftlichem Fachwissen bei Studierenden der Wirtschaftswissenschaften und der Wirtschaftspädagogik unter dem Einfluss individueller Bedingungsfaktoren (Developing a generalized latent multilevel structural equation model for longitudinal analysis of change in students‘ business and economic knowledge under influence of personal variables).
- Jana Seidel (2011): Transferkompetenz und Transfer – Theoretische und empirische Untersuchung zu den Wirksamkeitsbedingungen betrieblicher Weiterbildung (Transfer and transfer competence. Theoretical and empirical analysis of effective training conditions in companies).
- Martin Stump (2016): Die Förderung evidenzbasierten Entscheidens mittels transformationaler Führung - Eine theoretische Modellierung und empirische Studie zu wirksamer Schulführung im Kontext von Evidenzbasierung (Fostering evidence-based decision-making through transformational leadership – A theoretical model and empirical study of the effectiveness of school leadership in the context of evidence-based governance).
- Frank Zimmermann (2013): Einstellung von Lehrkräften zum Qualitätsmanagement an Schulen und deren Prädiktoren – Eine empirische Untersuchung an berufsbildenden Schulen in Rheinland-Pfalz (Attitudes of teachers towards quality management at schools as well as their predictors – An empirical study at vocational school in Rhineland-Palatinate).
- Sven Bermel: Analyse des professionellen Umgangs mit allgemeinen didaktischen Prinzipien im berufsbildenden Unterricht und der fachdidaktischen Unterrichtsreflexion von angehenden Lehrkräften (Analyzing the professional use of general teaching principles in vocational teaching as well as pre-service teachers‘ reflection of teaching methodology in classroom performance).
- Miriam Toepper: Fachübergreifende Kompetenzen von Studierenden im deutschen Hochschulsektor – Testadaption und Validitätsanalyse.
- Olga Mater: Situationsspezifisches Bewältigungsverhalten von Junglehrern.
- Sarah Aouhassi: Impact of Information System Quality on Higher Education Quality.